This Banana Bread Crumb Cake is a fun twist on both Banana Bread and Crumb Cake…it’s like a muffin in cake form, and oh so good!
You guys, oh my sweetness.
You need to go and get you some elderly bananas and make this asap.
The name is a little confusing.
Quite frankly I didn’t know what to call it. It’s texture is more like a muffin, the flavor is more like banana bread but it’s in a 9×13 pan which makes it very cake-ish.
And do you eat it for breakfast with coffee or for dessert with milk? AHHHHHHH!
So instead of calling it “Banana Muffin Cake Bread with a Crumb Topping and Glaze”, I shortened it.
For your sake.
So now I present to you Banana Bread Crumb Cake.
Or basically the most confused dessert/breakfast in history.
So let me start by saying that I pretty much groaned out loud when I took my first bite. In a good way.
I am not a groaner, so that’s a huge thing.
Ok, I take that back..actually I am.
“Ugh” is my most favorite word. Besides annoying. That’s a close second.
Just call me Polly Positive.
Anyhow back to the groaning.
I am telling you this cake/bread/muffin is magic.
Just grab you some old bananas. The senior citizens of your bunch.
Mash the heck out of them. Then add some butter, eggs, sugar, milk, and some flour and stuff.Set it aside and make your delicious crumb.
The secret here is we are topping the cake with crumb, but also adding some to the middle too…
Adding it as a “filling” makes the cake more dense and buttery and freaking amazing. It’s kind of undetectable after you bake it, but my oh man it is like little leprechauns jumped inside your cake and jigged it up with their magic footprints.
Put half the batter in a pan….top it with your leprechaun magic crumb…
Then finish the rest of the batter and then the rest of the crumb.
When it’s baked it will look like this…Flipping fantastic.
Then, and this might be overkill, you can add a simple glaze.
Just a cup of powdered sugar and some milk…
I almost just said, “Come to Mama”, then I realized I hate when people say that.
But really, come on…Make it. MAKE IT!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. set aside.
- In a large bowl mash bananas until they become liquified.
- Mix in butter until combined and then stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla until mixed well.
- Stir in milk and flour until combined.
- Prepare crumb filling/topping by combining all the ingredients together cutting them together with a fork or pastry cutter until a coarse crumb forms.
- Pour ½ of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with ⅓ of the crumb mixture. Cover the filling with the remaining batter and top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- *If desired mix powdered sugar and milk together and drizzle on top.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Store airtight for up to 2 days.