Our kitchen remodel is nearly complete and my husband and I are still married, which is sort of a miracle.
I have told him 40 hundred times that he’s doing things incorrectly…and he has told me 40 hundred and ONE times that I have no experience in hanging cabinets so my pie-hole should stay shutty.
I have repeated the phrase, “I cannot wait until the crown molding is up” at least 7 times a day since the project has started, just so he doesn’t forget to put the crown molding up…
And he has repeated the phrase, “pie-hole shutty” every. single. time.
Ok, he has never said pie-hole shutty…but that’s basically what I can hear his eyes saying when he looks at me.
Also, my husband would never say shutty. Or pie-hole.
Anyway…I am starting to learn that when I repeat things over and over and over, for example, “can’t wait until the crown molding is up”, that is called “nagging”.
Which I like to refer to as “helpful reminders”.
We will never see eye to eye on that one.
And APPARENTLY husbands don’t like, “helpful reminders” when it comes to home improvement projects. Or ever, really.
So yeah, we’re still married.
But the crown molding isn’t up yet.
I’ll let you know.
In the meantime let’s do something major with brown sugar and toffee.
Brown Sugar Toffee Bars.
These bars are totally simple, but they have flavors that are in-your-face delicious.
Chewy, rich and buttery. They are perfect and cozy.
I love dark brown sugar, and that’s what I used. If you don’t love it, you can certainly sub in light brown sugar.
And besides all the other usual suspects (eggs, butter, vanilla etc) you will need Toffee Bits. I used the kind that are covered in milk chocolate, but you don’t have to. Totally up to you!
Just mix up a quick batter and add your toffee…
See me there in the mixer bowl?
Yeah, I still wear black capri yoga pants. I can’t quit them.
Here’s what your bars will look like…
Can you even…? I mean…
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (8 oz) bag of Toffee Bits (I used the Milk Chocolate coated "Heath" Toffee bits)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- With your stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar together, about 2 minutes on medium speed until combined and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Turn mixer to low and add in baking soda, salt and flour, Mixing until just incorporated.
- Pour in your toffee bits and stir until evenly combined.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and center is just set.
- Cool pan on wire rack and cut into squares when ready to serve.
Also, baking times vary, don't over bake.