My Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a simple and DELICIOUS side dish or light dinner. Creamy, cheesy, and topped with crunchy, buttery crackers, this is has been a favorite since I was a kid, and is STILL one of the best casserole recipes ever!
Table of Contents
Broccoli Cheese Casserole Is One Of My All Time Favorite Side Dish Recipes!
I’m always on the hunt for side dishes that my kids will eat. We eat a lot of grilled chicken around here, and while that’s an easy dinner it can tend to get a little boring and repetitive. But switching up your side dish is an easy way to keep dinner interesting!
I have been eating a version of this Broccoli Cheese Casserole my whole life, and it’s still one of my most favorite recipes. It definitely gives off 80’s vibes with the condensed soup and crushed crackers, but I’m fully here for it.
How To Make My Broccoli Cheese Casserole
You’ll be happy to know this is an extremely easy dish to make! I use frozen broccoli and think it turns out best that way! I tried before to use fresh broccoli, but you have to blanche it to get the right consistency, and when you blanche the broccoli you add moisture, which you need to drain completely so it doesn’t end up watery. Long story short, it was more trouble than it was worth, in my opinion!
BUT, I do recommend that you thaw the frozen broccoli and drain it well. Too much moisture is the enemy of this casserole.
Once you have the broccoli squared away, you just mix everything together and spread it in a baking dish!
Ingredients You Need For Broccoli Cheese Casserole:
- Cream of Chicken Soup. You can absolutely use cream of mushroom…or cream of anything!
- Mayonnaise. If you just can’t do mayo you can use sour cream instead.
- Frozen (and thawed) broccoli. You can use florets, or pieces…whatever you prefer!
- Seasonings. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder are the basic seasonings I use. Feel free to get creative here and try other spices!
- Egg. You’ll just need 1 to help bind the ingredients together.
- Cheddar Cheese. Grate your own, you won’t be sorry!
- Butter. Because everything is better with butter.
- Crushed Crackers. I love using Cheeze-Its!
What Else Can You Top This Cheesy Casserole With?
This recipe is old school and is topped with crushed crackers. This adds a salty, buttery, crunchy layer! Like I said, I love using Cheeze-Its to up the cheese factor, but here are a few other ideas:
- Butter crackers, like Club Crackers or Ritz
- Potato Chips
- Crushed Pretzels
Can You Make This Casserole Ahead?
Yes you can, but I like to top it with the crushed crackers right before baking so they stay crisp! They do get a little soft when this is reheated the next day, but the flavor is still great!
What Should You Serve This With?
Grilled Chicken, Steak or any other protein is a great main dish to go along with Broccoli Cheese Casserole. OR I actually like to eat it on it’s own for a light or meatless meal!
Here are a few other main dish ideas:
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- Baked Ham
- MIYM Chicken
- Corn Dog Muffins
- Baked Chicken Legs
This easy casserole recipe is the perfect side dish on both holidays and weeknights, or an easy meatless dinner!
- 30– ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1 (10.5- ounce) can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups crushed butter or cheese crackers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the egg, soup, mayonnaise, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder until smooth. Stir in the cheese until combined.
- Mix the broccoli into the cheese mixture until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with crushed crackers and drizzle the melted butter evenly on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbly and the top is lightly golden.
- Serve warm.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 572.4 mg
- Fat: 33.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.1 g
- Protein: 13.3 g
- Cholesterol: 86.8 mg
Keywords: cookies and cups, casserole, broccoli cheese casserole, side dish, easy broccoli casserole recipe,
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: