Chocolate Banana Bread is a soft, banana bread recipe that is the perfect balance of banana and chocolate. Loaded with chocolate chips, this is CRAZY good!!
So yep, here we are today with another banana bread recipe!! I just can’t get enough! I have so many variations already on the site, like my favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, my Toasted Coconut Banana Bread, and most recently my Banana Muffins!
Chocolate Banana Bread is the perfect combination of chocolate and banana. The balance between the two flavors in my recipe is outstanding! It took me a few tries to get it quite right, because I either ended up with bread that tasted just like chocolate cake (not that that’s bad) OR a barely there chocolate flavor with too much banana. BUT I was able to find the perfect balance in this recipe that I am sharing today! Essentially it’s a DOUBLE Chocolate Banana Bread because I did add some chocolate chips…because why not?!
This banana bread is soft and tender, while still being slightly dense and CRAZY moist! I used sour cream in this recipe, which is one of my favorite tricks to make mine extra delicious!
I have a formula down when it comes to making banana bread, and it has served me well. Today’s recipe is no different.
- I always use butter for favor and texture. Oil is also fine in banana bread, but I like the slightly denser texture that butter gives the bread.
- Sour cream! So using sour cream gives extra moisture but also bakes very well, making the banana bread rich but also fluffy!
- I use sliced bananas, which is my special trick, but in this recipe, I mashed them This is because the slices of bananas, while delicious, would leave white “lumps” in the bread, and in contrast to the dark color of this chocolate version it isn’t an entirely appetizing look.
- Adding extra chocolate chips really makes this next level. You can certainly omit them, but then we can’t be friends.
How To Store…
Of course this banana bread is MAJOR when it’s warm, but it’s also equally delicious the next day! When it sits overnight this chocolate banana bread gets a little denser and more fudgy. It is seriously as amazing the next day as it is the day you bake it, and I don’t feel that way about a lot of baked treats!
Can You Freeze This Chocolate Banana Bread?
Yes, absolutely! Allow the bread to cool completely and then wrap it in plastic wrap, and place it in a large zip-top bag, or wrap again in foil. It will be fine in the freezer for 1-2 months like this. When you’re ready to enjoy, let it thaw out completely and enjoy!
What Else Can You Add?
I added chocolate chips to mine to really amp up the chocolate flavor, BUT you can get creative with this recipe! Add in:
- Chopped Peanut Butter Cups
- White Chips
- Candied Pecans
- Chopped Oreos
Like this recipe? Try these:Print
Chocolate Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: serves 10 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
This Chocolate Banana Bread is the perfect balance of chocolate and bananas. A guaranteed favorite!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom and up the short ends of the pan with parchment paper and coat again with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, sour cream, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix for 1 minute until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Mix in the bananas until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 31.4 g
- Sodium: 270.9 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.2 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 65.6 mg
Keywords: banana bread, cookies and cups, chocolate banana bread, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, easy banana bread
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
PIN for later:
53 comments on “Chocolate Banana Bread”
Would it be okay to omit the sour cream? or is there a substitute you would recommend?
You could use Greek Yogurt!
Just made this recipe after seeing post on Instagram, it is fantastic! Cannot stop eating it!
Love hearing this and thank you for the review!
So good my five year old asked for me to make it for her birthday cake!
Hi Shelly! Will this banana bread freeze well?
Hi Shelly… I’m from Malaysia, we have different type of banana’s & sizes. Your recipe calls for 3 ripe banana.. Can you give the measurement in cups or grams please. Tq
You will get about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas. Hope that helps!
This is delicious! I’ve made it several times and it’s my new go-to banana bread. If I make this in mini loaf tins, how long is the cook time? I would hate to over bake this wonderful bread.
I love making mini loaves to give to friends- usually 25-28 min.
We love this recipe! I’ve made it twice and it’s been devoured both times. I’m wondering if you’ve ever tried freezing it? Do you think the texture would change when it is thawed?
Yes, we’ve frozen this multiple times and it freezes great!
This looks delicious. Can I use almond flour instead of regular?
I don’t bake with almond flour, as I am allergic, but my understanding is that you can sub it with a 1:1 ratio abut since it doesn’t contain gluten you might end with a slightly flatter, denser result. Report back if you try it!
Omg. Just made this. Best banana bread I’ve ever made! SO GOOD!!
So glad you enjoyed!!