I heard it was Cookie Season.
Which I think should actually be a real life season, by the way. Spring, Summer, Fall and Cookie.
And rule numero uno in Cookie Season would be that there is no dieting. Ever. Like you would get arrested. Totally more serious than if you wear white after Labor Day. It wouldn’t be merely a suggestion… it would basically be a Commandment. Or an Amendment. Or whatever you call a rule that is totally not breakable. There would be severe consequences and all that. Maybe jail? Or being bound to a life of Atkins? Either way, it would suck.
Cookie season would be major. There would be fashion surrounding Cookie Season, most likely including a lot of elastic and spandex. And craft fairs would sell wooden signs with fancy writing with cute Cookie Season catch phrases…like instead of “Spring has Sprung” it could be “Cookie Season is Baked” or “Happy Cookie Season Y’all”. I can see it now.
I sure wish people would ask me before making universe laws.
And also I need help. With my brain.
Ok, back to real life…
I feel like I have been making a lot of brown food lately.
And yeah today is not exception….I mean the word brown is in the title…twice.
Actually there SHOULD be brown in the title 3 times, but I’ll get to that in a minute.
Because these cookies will basically kill your heart.
Ok, so these are brown sugar cookies, that are actually made with browned butter, topped with a yummy caramelly brown sugar frosting.
So let’s do this.. Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies with Brown Sugar Frosting (that also start with Browned Butter)…
aka: Cookies that will metaphorically kill your heart.
So first, melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s melted continue cooking until the butter starts to get brown and nutty and delicious and will solve all the wars in the world.
Keep swirling the pan so the little solid bits don’t burn.
Then mix in the brown sugar into the browned butter.
And try not to stick your face in it…
Mix that up with your eggs and vanilla and all and pour it into your dry ingredients…
Mix all that together to form your dough and then roll them into balls.
Mix your reserved brown and granulated sugars together and roll each ball in the sugar…
Bake them up.
Then you should definitely frost them.
Cheers to brown food.
- 14 tablespoons salted butter (1¾ sticks)
- 1¾ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1½ Tbsp vanilla
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat until melted. When butter melts slowly swirl the pan and continue to cook the butter until it becomes a nice, brown-caramel color. The swirling helps it from burning. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
- When butter is cooled mix 1¾ cup light brown sugar and browned butter with electric mixer until no lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
- Add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix for another 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture and mix on medium-low until incorporated.
- Combine remaining ¼ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and then roll in sugar mixture.
- Place on lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake approx 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Do not over-bake.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Combine brown sugar and butter in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and continue cooking 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Mixture will slightly thicken.
- With hand mixer beat in milk until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar until spreadable consistency. ( I used all 2 cups).
- Spread approx 1 teaspoon on each cookie.