So this frosting, you guys.
It’s sort of perfect.
It’s way different from my usual kill-me-now frosting. So if you’re looking for a really stable buttercream, this isn’t for you.
But if you want something a little lighter (not necessarily healthier) you’re barking up the right tree.
It’s fluffy, it’s sweet, it’s got pudding in it.
Here’s how this happened…last week I was innocently shopping and came across this…
I saw this frosting a while back and knew it would be the perfect vehicle for the pudding. I mean, Pudding Frosting? Hello…yes!
Deciding on a cupcake for this frosting to sit on was easy peasy.
So here’s what I did…Gingerbread Cupcakes with White Chocolate Pudding Frosting.
I started by making the cupcakes. Which required me to break out my very lonely jar of molasses. Homeboy doesn’t get much play.
The batter is super easy…I filled up some cute cupcake liners about 2/3 full and baked away!
While they were baking I made the frosting…
Note, this frosting requires about an hour in the fridge before frosting, so leave a little time for that!
You’ve got cream cheese, milk, pudding, and powdered sugar in there. Beat it until it thickens…
I transferred mine into an airtight container to chill for a bit.
When the cupcakes were cooled and the frosting was chilled, I did some piping and I ate.
And I’m just gonna say this, I bet this frosting would make a great “mousse” served in cups or jars topped with fruit, or chocolate. Nothing like frosting you can eat straight.
I’ve also done some Oreo Pudding Cookies with Oreo Pudding, so check those out too!
Makes 10 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup butter (4 Tbsp), room temp
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- 1 box white chocolate instant pudding (3.5 oz box – 4 servings)
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz tub Cool Whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin tin with cupcake liners..
- In bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- With your mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and molasses together until creamy and smooth.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Turn mixer to low and alternately add the dry mixture and water, starting and ending with dry mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In stand mixer beat cream cheese until smooth and light, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in pudding mix, milk and powdered sugar, beating until blended and thickened, about 2 minutes. Fold in the Cool Whip until evenly incorporated.
- Chill frosting for an hour before frosting cupcakes to firm.