Ok, these cupcakes are kind of hardcore.
I mean, there’s meat on them.
And when you add bacon to desserts not only do they turn hardcore, but they suddenly they become interesting to men.
So what I am saying is that if you’re looking for a man, maybe make a bacon necklace or something. Just an idea.
I asked on facebook a while back if you thought bacon belonged on dessert and the decision was split about 50/50…
So I decided to make some cupcakes where the meat is not totally necessary.
There is a lot going on with these cupcakes…They’re Chocolate Chip Banana Cupcakes, with Peanut Butter Frosting topped with Brown Sugar Candied Bacon.
They’re a literal and figurative mouthful.
And if bacon on a cupcake isn’t your thing you can totally get your garnish on with a pretzel…
So let’s get this party started…
First you will need some mashed bananas.
Hello…it’s a banana cupcake.
Also, I use this “Cultured Buttermilk Blend” for a lot of my cake baking that calls for buttermilk…It lasts for a while and I don’t always have buttermilk on-hand.
Then add in your mashed bananas…
Coating the chips in a little flour helps them not sink to the bottom.
Fill your liners up about 2/3 full and bake away!
Here’s how they will look when they’re done…
Now let’s get to the meat of the cupcake…
Line a baking sheet with foil and then place a cooling rack inside the pan.
Mix up some dark brown sugar and a little bit of pepper in a shallow dish…
Here’s the deal..while this is baking it might smoke a little…so turn your vent on. When the sugar melts and drips, it can get a little smelly-ish. Just a warning.
And only if you’re feeling meaty, garnish your cupcake with the sweet, candied bacon.
Or just say no and stick a few pretzels on there…either way, you’re gonna love this cupcake!
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed, ripe bananas (approx 3 bananas)
- ¾ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips, tossed in 1 Tbsp flour
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 10- 12 slices center cut bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer cream together your butter and sugars on medium-high speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until mixture is incorporated, about 1 more minute, scraping the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in dry ingredients and buttermilk until combined. Pour in your mashed banana, combining well and then finally your chocolate chips.
- Fill each liner about ⅔ full and bake for 20-25 minutes until centers are set.
- Transfer cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In you mixing bowl combine butter and peanut butter, beating on medium-high speed until creamy. Turn mixer to low and add in powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy cream. Turn mixer back up to medium and beat for 2-3 minutes until frosting is very smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet (with sides) with foil and place a similarly sized cooling rack in the pan.
- In a medium, shallow sized bowl combine your brown sugar and pepper. Add the bacon strips 2 at a time and coat them evenly with the sugar mixture. Place them on the wire rack and top with any leftover sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes until browned.
- Cool slightly before chopping for garnish.
Cupcakes don't have to be refrigerated and are good for up to 2 days.
adapted from The Butch Bakery