With just 5 ingredients, this apple dump cake is the easiest fall dessert! It’s a cross between apple crisp and apple cake. It’s ridiculously easy to make with apple pie filling and a box of cake mix.
Why You’ll Love This Apple Dump Cake
Moist and bursting with sweetness and spice, this apple dump cake recipe is the easiest cake you’ll bake this fall! Here’s why you’ll love it:
- 5 ingredients. Boxed cake mix and canned apple pie filling keep the shopping list for this cake short and (extra) sweet.
- Dump and bake. This cake is ridiculously easy to make by “dumping” your ingredients into a cake pan. There’s no fussing or mixing, and it’s ready to go straight into the oven!
- Perfect for fall. Whether you’re baking for the family or looking for the perfect fall dessert to make for Thanksgiving, you can’t beat the convenience of this apple dump cake.
Why Is It Called Dump Cake?
The point of a dump cake is to dump everything together and then bake it. If you’ve ever tried the viral TikTok cinnamon roll dump cake, you know that a dump cake is one of the easiest desserts ever. This apple dump cake falls somewhere between a cobbler, an apple crisp, and a cake, prepared by combining all the ingredients in a cake pan. You don’t even need to mix it!
If you’re looking for more dump cake recipes to make this fall, try my pumpkin dump cake, too.
Apple Dump Cake Ingredients
You can count the ingredients for this dump cake on one hand. Below is a quick overview with some notes on what you’ll need. Don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full recipe details.
- Cake Mix – You’ll need one box of good ol’ vanilla cake mix or yellow cake mix from the brand of your choosing.
- Apple Pie Filling – I make this recipe with two cans of apple pie filling. You can also borrow the apple filling from your favorite homemade apple pie.
- Butter – You’ll need a ½ cup of butter, cut into slices. A stick of butter is easiest.
- Oats – Rolled oats will give this cake the best texture. Avoid instant oats as they’ll turn out a bit mushy.
- Brown Sugar – To mix with the oats for the topping.
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
It’s easy to get addicted to making a dump cake because it’s just so darn simple, and the outcome is always delicious. Here’s how to make this flavorful apple dump cake:
- Add apples. First, dump the apple pie filling into a greased 9×13” baking dish.
- Add cake mix. Next, spread the cake mix evenly over the apples. Distribute the butter slices over top.
- Top with oats. Finally, whisk together a topping of oats and brown sugar and then sprinkle this over the cake. Do not stir.
- Bake. Bake your dump cake at 350ºF for about 50 minutes, until the top is golden and the apple filling is bubbling. Let the cake cool, then serve!
Why Don’t You Mix a Dump Cake?
The #1 rule when making a dump cake is do not mix. It may seem a little strange, but skipping this step is the key to a golden, buttery cake that’s gooey on the inside and fluffy on top.
Tips and Variations for the Best Apple Dump Cake
There isn’t much to making this cake! Here are my final tricks along with easy variations that you can keep in mind:
- Give the baking dish a little shake after dumping your ingredients into the pan. This helps the cake mix distribute so that it bakes evenly.
- Add nuts. Stir chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds into the oats and brown sugar to create a streusel for extra crunch.
- Use another fruit. Technically, it won’t be an apple dump cake, but you can make this recipe with canned or frozen peaches, blueberries, strawberries, etc.
Is My Dump Cake Supposed to Be Gooey?
Gooey, yes. Runny, no. Your apple pie filling should be bubbly and hot throughout like a cobbler. Giving the cake time to cool after baking helps the filling firm up.
Enjoy this apple dump cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or easy homemade ice cream) and a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce. For even more fall flavor, try this apple cider caramel sauce or pumpkin spice caramel sauce. A swirl of whipped cream really takes things over the top!
How to Store
- To Store. Store the baked apple dump cake airtight at room temperature for 1-2 days. You can also refrigerate any leftovers to extend their shelf life.
- Freezer. If you’d like to freeze this cake either whole or in portions, store the cake airtight and keep it frozen for up to 2-3 months. Defrost in the fridge before serving.
More Easy Apple Recipes
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Pie Dip
- Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
- Apple Pie Bars
- Sour Cream Apple Cake
This apple dump cake puts a fun fall spin on the easiest cake recipe ever! Made with spiced apple pie filling, cake mix, butter, and oats.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 (21 oz) cans apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/2 Tbsp slices
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour both cans of apple pie filling into the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the dry cake mix on top of the apple pie filling.
- Evenly place the butter on top of the cake mix.
- In a bowl combine the oats and the brown sugar, and sprinkle that on top of the whole cake.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.