This easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe makes perfectly rich and creamy mashed potatoes in a fraction of the time. Enjoy a heaping side of buttery, homemade mashed potatoes with your next cozy meal, made easy with the pressure cooker!
If you’d prefer a low-and-slow method, check out my recipe for easy Crockpot Mashed Potatoes.
Rich and Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
In this house, mashed potatoes are always associated with warm fuzzy feelings: holidays, cozy family meals, special occasions, or juicy beef dinners (I see you, Instant Pot Cubed Beef). Wherever mashed potatoes are, happiness isn’t far behind, and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. If you know what I mean.
My Instant Pot has become my new favorite way to prepare the fluffiest, creamiest mashed potatoes. This recipe makes the pressure cooking process super straightforward, so it’s even perfect for Instant Pot beginners! One bite of these outrageously smooth and flavorful mashed potatoes, and you won’t want to make them any other way.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Recipe
Rich, buttery, creamy. Words really don’t do these velvety mashed potatoes the justice they deserve. You’ll just have to taste them for yourself! Here are more reasons you’ll want to make these Instant Pot potatoes all the time:
- Quick and easy. Pressure cooker mashed potatoes are the best shortcut to my favorite side dish! These creamy mashed potatoes come together in half the time it takes to make traditional stove-top mashed potatoes.
- Fully-loaded. Picture all your favorite kinds of mashed potatoes in one Instant Pot. This recipe features garlic, sour cream, lots of butter, and even parmesan cheese, for the truly ultimate homemade mashed potatoes.
- Versatile. Weeknights, holidays, afternoon snacks. Name a situation that isn’t made better by a generous helping of fluffy mashed potatoes. That’s right, you can’t.
What You’ll Need
Tons of flavor gets locked into these easy mashed potatoes, with hardly any effort. Below are the ingredients you’ll need to make these flavorful Instant Pot potatoes come to life. Remember to check out the full details in the recipe card!
- Potatoes: Peeled, chopped Yukon gold potatoes are my favorites for mashing (see below).
- Milk: Or heavy cream, if you prefer a richer consistency. Warm the milk either in the microwave or on the stovetop beforehand, this helps it absorb better into the potatoes.
- Butter and Parmesan: We’re going all out with these Instant Pot mashed potatoes. And it starts with parmesan cheese and plenty of butter. For best results, use freshly grated parmesan from a block.
- Garlic Powder: I couldn’t resist the thought of garlic mashed potatoes, so I added a few pinches of garlic powder to this recipe for good measure. It adds just the right garlicky kick next to salt and pepper.
- Sour Cream: If you’ve ever made sour cream mashed potatoes, you already know it’s the only way to round out perfect, creamy mash! Sour cream adds loads of extra richness and flavor to these Instant Pot potatoes.
What Are the Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes?
You’ll want to use a starchy potato when making mashed potatoes. I’m partial to Yukon Gold potatoes, as they’re especially creamy with a naturally buttery flavor. However, another starchy variety, like Russet potatoes, will also work. Avoid waxy potatoes, as they hold their shape when cooked or boiled. This makes waxy potatoes perfect for recipes like Potato Salad, but not for mashing.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Making perfect mashed potatoes in your pressure cooker couldn’t be easier! If you’re new to the world of Instant Pots, this is the perfect opportunity to get better acquainted. Instant Pot mashed potatoes are basically a 3-step process:
- Cook the Potatoes: Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot with salted water. Seal, then pressure cook the potatoes on high for 10 minutes. Afterward, quick-release the pressure, then drain all but about ¼ cup of water from the pot.
- Mash the Potatoes: Mash up the softened potatoes inside the pot using a potato masher or hand mixer. Meanwhile, switch your IP to the “Keep Warm” setting.
- Add Flavor: Next, stir in the parmesan, butter, seasonings, and sour cream, until everything is smooth and combined. Serve your freshly mashed potatoes right away, or keep them warm in the Instant Pot until you’re ready. See below for easy serving ideas!
Tips for Success
Here are more helpful tips to keep in mind when making mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot (or really any mashed potatoes, while we’re at it!).
- Use the right potatoes. I mentioned it earlier, but it’s worth repeating. Starchy potatoes, and ideally Yukon gold, are essential for making the best mashed potatoes. Waxy potatoes just won’t cut it here!
- Mash the potatoes while they’re hot. For the creamiest texture, don’t let the potatoes cool down before you mash them. Go right in while they’re freshly cooked and drained (just be mindful of the hot steam!).
- Don’t overwork the potatoes. Over-mixing mashed potatoes can cause them to become gummy, not fluffy. Mash them until they’re smooth, and then gently fold in the rest of the ingredients.
- Make-ahead mashed potatoes: These quick mashed potatoes are great for making in advance, whether you’re making them an hour or two ahead of time, or storing leftovers for later. See the section further down for storage and reheating tips!
- When keeping mashed potatoes warm in your Instant Pot, keep the lid on and the pot set to “Keep Warm”. Remember to give the potatoes a stir every half hour or so, to keep them from stiffening up. If you find that your potatoes need some “reviving” before serving, stir in some additional milk.
Ways to Serve
Mashed potatoes just might be the best side dish ever. I don’t think anyone in my family has ever refused a second or third helping of these Instant Pot mashed potatoes! The limit does not exist. They’re crazy versatile and go amazingly well with tons of dinner ideas:
- Serve saucy beef recipes like Instant Pot Cubed Beef, Instant Pot Short Ribs, or Salisbury Steak over a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Pair mashed potatoes with Creamy Garlic Chicken or Skillet Balsamic Garlic Chicken, and a side of fresh green salad.
- Instant Pot mashed potatoes are great for saving oven space during the holidays! Serve them with a Holiday Ham or Thanksgiving turkey, along with Homemade Crescent Rolls and gravy.
- Enjoy mashed potatoes with other veggie sides like Air Fryer Asparagus or Instant Pot Corn on the Cob.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Leftover Instant Pot mashed potatoes can be refrigerated airtight for up to 3-4 days. I like to store them in an oven-safe dish covered in foil, for easy reheating.
To reheat, take the mashed potatoes out of the fridge, and let them sit at room temperature to take the chill off while the oven preheats. Next, place the whole dish into the oven, covered, at 350ºF or 20 minutes or so, until warmed through.
Can I Freeze Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes?
Nothing beats a fresh batch of mashed potatoes from the Instant Pot. However, you can freeze mashed potatoes if you’re making them ahead or if you have leftovers. Allow the potatoes to cool down completely, and then store them in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months, and thaw your mashed potatoes in the fridge before reheating.Print
This easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe makes perfectly rich and creamy, homemade mashed potatoes in a fraction of the time!
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk or Heavy Cream, warmed
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4–1/2 Cup Butter (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- Place the cut potatoes, water, and 1 teaspoon of salt in the instant pot. Turn the valve to seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When it’s done cooking, quick-release the pressure.
- Open the lid and carefully drain the water, reserving about 1/4 cup in the pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes or for creamier potatoes use a hand mixer.
- Turn the instant pot to Keep Warm.
- Add the milk, parmesan cheese, butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sour cream. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve.
To keep warm: Leave the prepared mashed potatoes in the instant pot with the lid on the keep-warm setting. Stir every 30 minutes. If they are too stiff when you’re ready to serve, stir in a couple of tablespoons of milk.
Keywords: homemade mashed potatoes, easy mashed potatoes, easy instant pot recipes