This is my go-to recipe for Perfect Homemade Confetti Cake, otherwise known as Funfetti! It’s a white cake loaded with sprinkles and perfect for topping with white frosting. I love the addition of the Sprinkle Shortbread Streusel Crumb Topping!
Sometimes you just need some cake.
And cracking open a boxed mix is totally fine in my world, but I do think that you should have a few solid “scratch” cake recipes on hand. You know, for the special occasion.
And while Confetti Cake (Funfetti) is TOTALLY a boxed mix deal. (That texture can NOT be duplicated), it’s fun to give a homemade version a try too!
You won’t be sorry, trust me.
And I topped this whole cake with a sprinkle shortbread streusel, which I would like to put on everything in life.
Because sprinkles rule even harder when in a shortbread streusel.
The cake itself is simple.
Just a regular old one-bowl batter.
I do use vegetable shortening in this recipe because I prefer the lighter texture it gives the cake, but you can absolutely sub-in butter.
And of course, sprinkles…
Just bake it up and let it cool.
Next I made the Sprinkle Streusel. It’s super simple.
And of course requires more sprinkles…2 Tablespoons to be exact…
Just spread the crumbles on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
When they are done they will look like this…they will still be a little soft, but they will firm up as they cool.
I used the same recipe for this streusel as I did HERE, but I added the sprinkles and omitted the cinnamon.
ANd then I sprinkled that all over the cake. It makes it pretty and different, but you could absolutely just pile a whole heap of sprinkles on top too!
The recipe for the streusel can be found in THIS recipe, but like I said before, add 2 Tbsp of sprinkles and omit the cinnamon.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 2, 8″ cake pans, line bottom of pans with parchment paper and grease again. Lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in shortening and beat over medium speed until mixture is combined. Add in both milk and extract. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Finally add in egg whites and continue beating until very smooth, 1-2 more minutes.
- Stir in sprinkles.
- Divide batter evenly and pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto to wire rack to finish cooling.