Vanilla Buttercream Recipe.
A simple and easy homemade buttercream recipe that can be modified and changed with great results!
Find a full tutorial here at Buttercream 101.
- 1 1/2 cups room temp salted butter (3 sticks)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 7-8 cups sifted powdered sugar (2 lb)
- 1/2 cup milk
How to Make
- Cream butter and shortening together until smooth, approx 3 minutes using a paddle attachment.
- Slowly add sugar, once all added crank up speed on mixer to med- high and whip it up for approx 1 min.
- Add milk, depending on your liking: stiffer~ less milk, creamier ~ more. If you add too much, no worries, just sift in a little more sugar.
I only add vanilla extract if I am coloring the frosting, otherwise, it is just as tasty without and the extract tends to make it a little tan, unless you use clear vanilla. This will frost 24 cupcakes (piped on) or cover 9" round cake.